Single mom, no insurance needs help for knees

knees A single mom with no health insurance, Wanda M. asks the Help Finder where to go for  help with osteoarthritis in both knees, possibly requiring surgery.  She is currently unemployed.
Dear Wanda,
The best option for you might be the federally mandated Hospital Care Assurance Program (HCAP).  Under this program, depending on your circumstances and family size, you may be eligible for free or discounted care, which includes medically necessary surgeries and tests administered at hospitals.
You can call 330-344-2000 at Akron General or 330- 375-6685 at Summa.
The catch is that you have to receive the service before you can apply to the program for help.  However, if you talk with a financial aid person at one of the local hospitals, you can get a good idea whether you will qualify to receive help and how much. As part of the process, you may be required to apply for Medicaid.  Also, physician costs may not be covered, and you would need to ask in advance about the doctor fees you could potentially face.
The Help Finder

Speak Your Mind


Because healthcare information changes rapidly, you should always verify information with your providers.